Monday, May 11, 2015

Spring Rejuvination

It's Spring!! We went on our first picnic with friends, and brewed our first quart of iced tea (#icedteaseason), on Sunday, and seriously, there is nothing like sitting on a blanket with friends surreptitiously drinking wine, and nibbling olives, cheese, and leftover cookies. For a few precious weeks, the weather will be just right. I'll step outside in a tank top and shorts and I won't be able to perceive the air on my skin unless there's a light breeze rustling the new, bright green leaves...

This is the season of Spring Cleaning, of new clothes, of getting back into those hobbies that got left by the wayside all Winter long. As Spring works its magic on me, I find myself looking at the transformation that has taken place in my practice as a teacher and healer over the last six months.

I've gone from being a busy yoga instructor, desperately trying to fit in the aerial training that had stolen my heart, wanting so badly to be as good as I knew I could be, while trying to market myself as a tarot reader, reiki healer, and yoga and meditation coach, to a full time aerial yoga instructor in Shanghai, China, with a young adult novel finally taking real shape, to a capital A Aerialist with a five to seven days a week training schedule, a five class a week aerial yoga, aerial silks, and conditioning teaching schedule, being called up to perform last minute with the pros...and kicking ass at it. Damn! What happened?

And what am I?

This is supposed to be the 'yoga' blog post, but I haven't taught a 'floor' yoga class in five months...

Well, Spoiler Alert, I know what happened. I quit trying to arrange my life and my priorities around the title I had given myself years ago, and started to arrange them around what I was best at and most in love with. I worked with intensively with a life coach for three months (and am continuing that work now in a more self-reliant way). I paired down all the work that I've done to the specific skill that makes me an amazing instructor and healer, and I designed an offering that combines the best of what I have to offer with a focus on those most in need of my help.

In short, Inward and Upward: The Most Powerful and Positive Breakup You'll Ever Have was born! My one-on-one twelve-week program combines yoga, meditation, journaling, reiki healing, chakra work, aerial arts, and tarot readings into one intense inner work methodology that can carry you from the upheaval of pain, confusion, and loss of a breakup into a place of confidence, self/life/joy-reclamation, and forward momentum toward a new level of growth, understanding, and purposeful living.

It is, truly, the most yogic thing I've ever done. My whole life feels the most yogic it's ever been, because I quit worrying about having the word 'yoga' attached to my pursuits.

What's happened since then? I started subbing group silks classes, and working with my first private silks client, I got invited to perform on triple trap with two professionals, I got interviewed for a podcast all about the work that I'm doing and how it ties into my work as an aerialist, and as an advocate for food justice, and I got a perfect opportunity to introduce my new healing work via a wonderful workshop at Bella Vita, the yoga studio that in some ways, started it all for me!

WOW!

Take note, I would love for you to learn more about, and participate in, all of the above, so please take a moment to click the links! YOU guys are the ones I want to share these amazing opportunities with! Even if you aren't so sure this is something you need right now, I'd so encourage you to check it out, and to share it with those you love. You never know who is waiting a helping hand from the universe, and you could be the one to give it.
Here's a link to a bigger version of the flyer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5d4agug1bd71aut/heartbreakblueprint-flyer-altemail_v2.pdf?dl=0
Now, I want to be clear, it isn't just that this all feels very yogic to me. It's that I got here by embracing yoga philosophy. Years of self study, self compassion, and a willingness to continually grow, improve, and greet the world and myself as brand new each day has brought me to this place. Yoga will always be a part of my life, and a part of my work, but teaching asana-based yoga classes might not be. That means that the changes you may have noticed on my teaching calendar (another rad resource you should be checking out) will go on to be reflected on my blog, website, and Facebook page. I think that's great. Evolution is a beautiful part of life. Come along and evolve with me!

Happy Spring! Live Omily!!
~em

2 comments:

  1. You have such an interesting blog. Thanks for sharing. Reading blogs is my hobby and I randomly found your blog. I enjoyed reading your posts. All the best for your future blogging journey. Please keep in touch with me in Twitter, @ipersuade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words, Sridhar! I hope you continue to find it enjoyable. :-)

    ~em

    ReplyDelete