Thursday, March 19, 2015

Eating Omily: For your Edible Edification...

So, I suspect that some of the time when I go on itty bitty (and not so itty bitty) rants about food, I'm preaching to the choir. But other times, I know I'm not, and I'm leaving a lot of people very confused.

Now, one option is to go back and read every Eating Omily blogpost I've ever written! Since I've tagged them all 'Eating Omily', it's not so hard! But, it would take a while, and inetivably, it still wouldn't answer all your questions, or clearly explain all the issues. Sometimes I really wish Ranty Emily would put a wild caught sockeye salmon in it...

Another option is to simply watch every documentary on the food system that's available on Netflix. Just find one, and the rest will pop up faster than radishes. This, too, would take you a long time, however. I mean, the new season of Game of Thrones is about to start; who has time for that??

Thankfully, there IS a third option! You can watch a series of short films through the Lexicon of Sustainability! These films are just a few minutes long each, but each one packs a simple but powerful lesson about sustainability. You can fit one in each day, and you'll be a member of the choir I'm preaching to in no time, and nothing could make me happier!

After watching each video, you'll have a basic understanding of an important issue regarding sustainability, and you'll also have the info you need to do some of your own research and dig deeper into the issues if your interest in piqued. The whole list is available at the link below.

http://www.pbs.org/food/features/lexicon-of-sustainability-episodes/

That said, what IS the Lexicon of Sustainability? What does that mean? I quote from their website:

THE LEXICON OF SUSTAINABILITY™ IS BASED ON A SIMPLE PREMISE: PEOPLE WILL LIVE MORE SUSTAINABLY IF THEY UNDERSTAND THE MOST BASIC TERMS AND PRINCIPLES THAT WILL DEFINE THE NEXT ECONOMY.


This isn't about improving your book smarts. No one is insulting your vocabulary! This approach is built on positivity: instead of convincing people to  change by explaining how horrible things are right now, it skips straight to handing you the tools to live sustainably, and participate in building a sustainable future. I love it! It would be awesome for you to take some time to check out their website as well, which is of course, www.lexiconofsustainability.com. There are more ways you can get involved and make a difference. Making the shift from grocery store to Farmers' Market is only the beginning!

If these videos raise any questions for you, please bring them back for us and tell me in the comments! I'll write my very next Eating Omily blogpost about the issue you raise, and I'll do the research to answer you as completely and clearly as possible, sending Ranty Emily off to do something else for once. ;-)

I'm looking forward to learning more myself as I go through the whole series! I've already learned something new: "The Tragedy of the Commons"...and hey, if you come back and explain to me what that mysterious phrase means...I might just have something really cool for you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment