Friday, February 6, 2015

The Omily Tarot: Exploring the Elements–Air

The Sun is in Aquarius, which means all my favorite people (well, ok, I have favorite non-Aquarians, too...) are having their birthdays, including me! Yay!!! Naturally I have a soft spot for all things Aquarius, except for the things that conflict with my potent moon in Leo...but then, aren't we all a big ball of joyous contradictions? In honor of Aquarius-ness, and this rad new blog series I'm following that is going over the basics of Astrology from a tarot-y perspective, I thought it would be cool to do a quick series on the four elements, starting, of course, with Air: the element of Aquarius!

These four elements come up over and over again in divination and classification systems from cultures all over the world, and throughout history! it's amazing how even though these four elements aren't actually elemental in any way from a physics point of view, they are still super relevant and very elemental from a the-way-people-work point of view. The elements figure strongly in Tarot of course, and Astrology, and Ayurveda, all things that help me to understand and relate to my world, just like good old fashioned scientific method does, but in a different way.

Geeking out with fellow Vata AND Aquarius Syl reminds of me everything beautiful about the element of air:

Our thoughts and our energy are up, up, up! We love to analyze, contrast, and compare things, and we're often a few steps ahead of everyone else in the room in that regard. We're more comfortable on an aerial apparatus than off, because the air is home to us.

Of course, having a rich and varied mental landscape that can take precedence over the earthy details of what's going on here and now means that we can also appear flighty and flaky: ("Of COURSE I'm going to your Birthday party! When is it again? And...what's your name?") And yes, in aerial arts it can lead to trouble! I tweaked my bicep today because I didn't take my warm-up climb slow enough, after coming in from the 20 degree weather! I just wanted to get UP there! (Don't worry, it'll be fine by Monday!)

On the other hand, if you need a friend to help you get to the bottom of what seems like a super complicated or messy situation, Air people are the ones to call! In the tarot, the element of air is represented by the symbol of swords, which I think is super fitting: air people cut through the bullshit, and get down to what's REALLY going on. We're too impatient to deal with all those layers in between!

We're not necessarily the best people to cry and wallow in feelings with (we just don't have TIME for that, there is so much to THINK about! Find a water friend to wade through your emotional seascape with), but if you're done wallowing and ready to figure out what ACTUALLY went wrong, and what you ACTUALLY should do going forward, call us up!

We're also not the best bet if you're looking for, you know, small steps? Practical advice? You'll need an earth buddy to guide you through that one. We're strictly big picture.

Of course, in the real world, most people are a mix of a few elements. I'm air-heavy to be sure, but my astrology chart actually has more fire elements in it, as well as a bit of water and earth, and my ayervedic constitution has a fair share of fiery pitta energy as well.

Of course, air and fire is a combination known for being...EXPLOSIVE, which if you know me, won't come as a surprise! But my fiery passion combined with my sharp and inquisitive mind allows me to map out a path to success, and then stick to it.

With such a small dose of the empathetic qualities of water, or the practical qualities of earth, I can get impatient when I can see a loved one's situation super clearly, and know what they should do, but they aren't on the same page I'm on: maybe they're swimming across a sea of emotions, waiting to get to the earthy coastline, when it will be time to take that painful step, but I'm high up in the clouds, and from my perspective, they're wasting A LOT of time and energy. I've been known to simply fly away in moments like that, attending to my own airy dreams until the person catches up to me again. That reaction can seem very hurtful to a water-heavy person, but fellow air people totally get it. We're happy to give each other space, and not inclined to take things personally.

So, what does all this mean if the swords pop up in a tarot reading? A lot of swords could be telling you that it's time to cut the bullshit and be objectively honest about what's going on. Logic your way through it, instead of intuiting. Your intuition is too bogged down in feelz to lead the way right now. Don't worry, it happens to all of us!

A sword card can also refer to a person that manifests those airy qualities, especially if it happens to be a court card.

Any sword card is offering an analytical approach to the situation at hand, and the number that pops up will tell you or your querent what you should be applying your sharp mind to.

As you can see, I'm not at all shy about celebrating the qualities of Air! Are you rocking another element? Lots of fire, water, or earth? Let me know in the comments! I would love to hear everything awesome, and the unique challenges, of the other elements for the next three blogpost in this series. You can chime in with your unique perspective on living with lots of air, too! (Avoid eating apples, anyone??)

No comments:

Post a Comment