Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Aerial Omily: Sharing My Wings

On the 29th, I wrapped up my Performance Intensive at the Muse with a playful performance with lots of new friends. I had a great time learning new choreography, and a new spin on familiar choreography, and getting my feet wet with acro balancing and hand standing with Madeline Hoak and Kelsey Strauch. They're both fantastic teachers, and lots of fun to work with!

Getting into July, I've pulled out my most recent aerial piece to polish it up for another performance. I had such lofty ideas about what I wanted to convey last time, but in the video, it wasn't coming across. This time around, I'm taking a cue from Madeline and simplifying what I'm trying to convey a little, and the results are...funny! I mean, not cats stealing dogs' beds funny, but, you know, a little chuckly-worthy. I haven't performed a funny piece before, and it's on my list of things I want to explore, so I'm excited to pursue this and see what comes of it.

And then, today, I got to do something really fun! Megan Hornaday is teaching a series of silks classes at Om Factory, and she had me assist her. I got to work with a beginner silks student on basic climbs, figure-eight foot lock, and inversion conditioning. Megan is a terrific teacher, and her brief explanation of the basic climb, coupled with this student's natural ability, got her climbing up well over my head without me needing to do much at all, so I can't take much credit for that, but I did assist her with proper form during the conditioning moves, and I taught her the figure-eight foot lock. We covered putting it on, and taking it off on the ground, taking it off in the air, and of course finding a fabulous pose in between. She looked fantastic, and I don't know who was more proud: my student or me!

I can't tell you how gratifying it was helping a fledgling find her way into the skies for the first time! I'm looking forward to continuing to assist Megan with her series at Om Factory, so if you've been looking for just the right opportunity to try your wings, trust me, this is it! Megan is an incredible aerialist, and a skilled, supportive teacher, and you'll get to take advantage of my yoga and aerial yoga backgrounds to get skilled and supported hands-on assists, and empathy for the challenges of being new to aerial. It's every Wednesday this month, from 3:30-4:30. Show up early to say hi, and warm up! You can sign up in advance online at www.omfactorynyc.com.

I hope I get to see you waving to me from up high soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment