Monday, January 6, 2014

I'll Never Forget You, 2013! Here's to Making 2014 Worth Leaving You for!

It's the New Year! It's been the new year for nearly a week! I've been kicking around the idea of New Year's Resolutions and goals for the last six days, being inspired by what my friends are reaching for this year, considering where I am on my journey, and what my next steps should be...

I'm a post-holiday slump sufferer, so it's not always easy for me to get excited about the new year, and that's especially true this year, because last year was so significant for me. It was 2013: 13 being my lucky number, and my Birthday being 2/13: I got my first chance to see Lady Gaga live (I had tickets for the tour dates she had to cancel for her emergency hip surgery), I had the best birthday party since my 18th, I started taking private aerial lessons, and I narrowed my focus to performance, artistry, and aesthetics in the air, I learned a lot about myself as a person, and about living skillfully on this planet. I got back into a regular yoga teaching schedule. I broadened my horizons to include new experiences I never expected I would try. I traveled to Korea and Japan, I did my aerial yoga teacher training, and started subbing those classes. I booked Reiki and tarot sessions with private clients, got stronger, loved better, and was thankful for my friends from the bottom of my heart, and I got to see some of those friends get engaged, and become parents. I spent an amazing weekend upstate with my best friend and the love of my life, I learned (finally) the importance of giving the people you love space to grow and change...and making it easier for the people who love you to adapt when you grow and change, oh yeah, and I got my septum pierced. It was a good year!

The nice thing about considering how powerful and transformative last year was in that it's a reminder that this year could be, will be, just as powerful and transformative. It couldn't stay 2013 forever! All I can do is thank my lucky stars that I was there for it. I lived it (as a 26-year-old, mostly: 2x13=26!!!).

So, how do I want to direct my energies for growth and universal contribution this year? This is my resolution for all of us. Take it with me!

I won't give up on the world. Things look really grim right now, but I believe we can fix this. I believe we can save our planet, learn to love and help each other regardless of who 'deserves' our help, and learn to truly love ourselves through our actions. No more self-sabotage, no more screwing up our own lives to help someone else who needs more than we're capable of giving. No more being afraid to fail! No more believing that you shouldn't bother, or that you're off the hook and don't have to try: We ALL need to be doing everything we can to make our world better! Get to it!

"My New Year's Resolution: Never be afraid to be kicked in the teeth. Let the blood and the bruises define your legacy."

-Lady Gaga 2012

And these are my personal resolutions. Feel free to ask me how I'm doing on them!

1. Meditate more. Every time I'm meditating daily, I can feel the difference. I'm a better, more functional person, and a happier person. I don't need to be perfect. it's ok for this to be a work in progress. Every day is great, but if I can make it more days than last year, that will be awesome.

2. Hand stand and forearm stand, center floor. This has been on my list for a couple years now, but my tight shoulders (and lack of consistent practice...) are still holding me back. I've kept up an increased focus on flexibility for the past year and a half, so this year should be the year!

3. At least Six aerial performances! Get ready to get a lot of invites to see me fly. If I'm going to do this professionally, for real, I need to get up there for variety shows and show cases consistently, so my body stops turning into a steel trap of nerves every time there's an audience, and the stakes stop feeling so high.

4. Meat hook, one arm, on both sides! This is an aerial move that requires a ton of core strength in your obliques and intercostal muscles, and it's my current conditioning goal because every time I try it (with two hands) I feel like my muscles are being torn off my ribcage until I collapse onto the mat in a puddle of my pathetic effort noises. Here is a picture of it on lyra.
5. Make more money! Seriously. There has been way too much spinning of my wheels going on in regards to this. I keep thinking a decent pay check is right around the corner...but it looks like I'm going to have to go around the corner and get it myself. And I'm going to use that money to sign up for a writing workshop so I can kick my novel into shape, and start shopping it to agents! This year!

6. Get at least one regularly scheduled aerial yoga class each week. This is how I train myself to teach silks, and this is the niche I need to be filling if teaching yoga is going to be profitable in this town.

7. Get back into our habit of setting aside an amount of money each week to give to someone who needs it: a charity, our church, a kickstarter that's going to do great things for our community...just not ourselves.

8. Stick with meal planning! It works! We eat better, we eat cheaper, and the week is less stressful.

9. Keep being brave: svatyaya, kids! Self-study is a journey that never ends. Every few months I look at myself in action and realize, I'm growing up! But it's not over yet: this year, I'll keep examining my habits and thought patterns, I'll keep asking the hard questions, and I'll keep breaking down those unhelpful patterns to make myself a better wife, friend, family member, and human.

10. It is long past time I pick my guitar back up! I don't remember a thing, but it's like riding a bike, right? By the end of 2014, I will successfully participate in a jam session...I may need a better guitar...

11. I'm getting back on my snowboard! This season! It's happening! Who's coming with me? We can complain about how old and sore we are afterward while drinking in a hot tub!

12. This is the one that feels the most daunting: We're going to get our apartment organized, and decorated the way we want it so it looks awesome, and we're going to keep it that way. Magic spells may be required. I'm down with that.

13. Get my Reiki Level II Attunement! It is past time.

Do you have goals or resolutions for this year? They are not allowed to be about weight loss or being or staying thin. Share them: put them out into the universe. It helps!

Live Omily in 2014!
~em

No comments:

Post a Comment