Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Omily Tarot: They Didn't Teach You This in English Class

Did you miss me? Sorry for the break between posts; things have just been a little hectic around here, especially now that we're fostering our first dog just in time for Thanksgiving.  I've been poking around looking into different tarot readings, and I stumbled upon one that really appealed to me.

You may or may not know, I'm really into grammar and other aspects of the English language. I write everything out longhand with proper punctuation when I text. Aside from showing respect to the person I'm communicating with, it also makes it easier to realize when I'm texting and should actually be calling to speak to the person, or maybe e-mailing. I've also been known to diagram sentences in boring magazines in waiting rooms and on airplanes...

So, when I found a three-card tarot spread in which the first card is the subject, the second card is the predicate, and the third card is the direct object, I couldn't wait to play with it! With Thanksgiving approaching, and us on the fence about whether to have an intimate feast for two, or join one of the many Friends-givings going on in our circle, asking how we should celebrate seemed like an appropriate question to start with.  Here's what I got:


A kitty (Leia loves to help with tarot readings, and also the Three of Staves, the Seven of Staves, and the Ace of Cups.  Feel free to take a moment and read my interpretations of those three cards from earlier in the blog by clicking the links. I'll wait.

The Three of Staves is our subject. What nouns do I associate with the Three of Staves? I'm always drawn to the metaphor of waiting for my ship to come in, and not knowing how things are going to turn out. That led me to think that this figure represents Skip and me, watching and waiting, and unsure how best to celebrate our first holiday without family coming up from Ohio to join us.

The Seven of Staves is the predicate, or verb, of the sentence, so what verbs come to mind when looking at this card? For me, this card is about cooperation, or the lack thereof. It's about wanting everything to be just right, and being unwilling to risk letting others participate since they might not do it the way you want them to. I associate it with feelings of defensiveness as well.  Thanksgiving is typically a stressful time for me (though I always have a wonderful time, too), because I love traditions, and I love making the same dishes and using the same recipes every year, but every year I have a choice: allow those recipes to be tweaked, or switched up completely when my family helps me make dinner, or take on a ridiculous amount of work and do it all myself so it's all done exactly right. Each year I get a little bit better at letting go of control, but perhaps this year is my chance to step away from tradition all together and do something completely different. "Step away from tradition" is a perfectly acceptable verb (and prepositional phrase), but I think there's more to this card: who is she pushing away, and should she be pushing them away, or is this card an admonishment to get out there and celebrate with others? Since it's reversed, I think perhaps the message is that it's not anti-social defensive to choose not to celebrate with others. It's actually a big challenge for me, since I'll be cooking up a roast pheasant with whiskey sauce with only my husband and I to enjoy it: no accolades from others. Perhaps the full sentence thus far would read, "Skip and I will step away from tradition and embrace celebrating for our own sake, instead of to impress others." That's already a complete sentence...and a long one, but that's no surprise since I'm such a wordy person.  What's the direct object? Well, we actually already have one: "celebrating for our own sake instead of to impress others", but perhaps the next card will back up, or change that object.

The direct object card is the Ace of Cups, which is one of my favourites! This card is about beautiful new beginnings, and all things associated with the element of water: dreams, emotions, matters close to the heart, intuitions, etc. This card seems to suggest that in walking away from tradition, it's important that we embrace the spirit of the season: being thankful for the wonderful relationship we have with each other, and the wonderful life we're building together.  I especially like the suggestion that this is only the beginning, and there are great things to come in the future.

I'd say our final sentence is:

"Skip and I will walk away from tradition and embrace a true celebration of all we have to be thankful for, including our love for each other, and the beautiful future we are working toward together."

I think that means we'll be staying in with our pheasant.  Do you think you'll try this kind of reading? Don't be intimidated; a completed sentence need only be three words long with this spead, and you could even do just a two card reading with one card being the subject and the other being the predicate to simplify even further.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment