Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Omily Tarot: Getting Real

It's (past–sorry!–) time to write about the tarot again!  Lately I've been putting in some time doing basic research on the history of the tarot, just a refresher course to prepare me to tutor some private clients in how to read it for themselves.  I corrected a couple dates I had wrong in my head (by about fifty years, oops!) Found the guy to point the finger at for thousands of people's misconceptions about the tarot (that bastard!), and just in general got a quick reminder of just how mundane the history of the tarot is.

And that's just how I like it.  I don't really want to play with something that's an ancient Egyption Book of the Dead, or an arcane Kabala system.  I just want to play with a deck of cards that helps me get to know myself better, and provide counseling to others.  I want to live this life better, and help others do the same, not try to separate myself from it using esoteric rituals.

A lot of people don't necessarily  feel the same, though.  They're disapointed to learn the tarot is just a card game that originated in Italy in the fifteen hundreds that's still played today in Spain, when they embraced the tarot in all its occult spookiness.  I often wodner how much overlap there is between these people, and the ones I really don't like reading for: the people whose eyes glaze over when I start the reading with some history and context, refuse to ask a question, and try to hurry me along as I thoroughly explain the meaning behind each card before I explain it in the context of the other cards or the situation...and all too often, they interupt my explanation to ask something like, "But what does it MEAN?" And even better, they'll just start pointing at random cards and asking things like, "Does this mean I'll meet a new lover soon??"

Don't get me wrong: querent participation is crucial to the style of reading I do.  I definitely want to know which cards stand out to you, which speak to you, what feelings or ideas you get from them...but please say these things at the beginning of the reading, when I ask you, not when I'm in the middle of explaining a rather complex association between two cards drawing from Ayurvedic medicine.

AND, after I finish working my way through a ten-card spread that you asked for, carefully tying together all the points I made, don't ask me the question you didn't want to ask the first time because you wanted to see if I was 'psychic' enough to figure it out on my own.  And if you do, hoping against hope I don't know that's exactly what you did (versus being inspired to ask a more direct question based on the information we gleaned from the first reading.  Yes, there is a HUGE difference), then DON'T turn around and ask it again in a slightly reworded version when the tarot doesn't tell you what you want to hear.  Don't do it.

I'm a down to earth kind of a tarot reader: I want to help you access the information you need to move forward.  I can't change the wisdom the universe is handing me to make it more palatable for you, and I can't change the way I read the cards to suit your Miss-cleo-ceptions of what I do.  There's nothing wrong with looking for that kind of reading; it's just not my dharma.

Be prepared to listen, to talk, to share, to listen, talk, and share some more, and ultimately to tell me more than you probably thought you would.  Be prepared to contribute to the proccess of the reading in meaningful ways, if you want a meaningful reading.  The more you want out of it, the more you have to put into it, and if your first concern is that I can't get all that information from the cards themselves, then you're looking for a different reader than me, and that's fine.  There's plenty of us out there!  I'm not worried about you; you'll find your perfect match if you keep looking, and meanwhile, you're leaving an appointment open for someone who is ready to go deep, get honest, work with his or her shadow side, and move forward in meaningful ways.

THAT'S my client.  You've been warned. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment