Friday, June 7, 2013

Eating Omily: What's the Opposite of Shark Week?

It's taken a while to get back into my meal-planning groove, and there are still hitches here and there: yesterday the husband had to stop and buy pizza dough on the way home because I ran out of time to make it from Farmers' Market flour.  Ah, well.  Last week was even crazier, though we got off to a good start with a General Tso's stir fry with sprouted tofu as the protein.
After listerally dreaming about the stinging nettles I had boiled and then stuck in the fridge, pan of water and all, before leaving on our trip, I knew I had to do something.  I sniffed them for signs of ickiness, strained them, and tried drinking a glass of the resulting elixer, so strongly steeped it looked black until you shown a light through it.  Then it looked very, very green.
Not bad, actually, though I haven't drank anymore of it yet, and there's a whole quart sitting in there.  It's supposed to be great for allergies.  I'll let you know. Some of the soggy nettles themselves found themselves in a quesadilla, where they were quite tasty, if subtle.

When I picked up my CSA share on Monday, it became apparent that this was Salad Week (Ding! Ding! Ding!: the opposite of Shark Week!) I don't know if you can tell from the pictures, but I got big bags of spinach, arugula, romaine, and kale.  I also got a head of green lettuce, a bunch of radishes, a bunch of spring onions, a bunch of swiss chard, and a couple potatoes, all for only $15.  Absolutely mind-boggling.  If you look closely, you can see the bottom of the sprouted tofu pack, and the bottom of the pan of steeping nettles in the picture directly below. Isn't that exciting? I'm trying to show how the CSA turned my fridge into a jungle, but I fear the pictures aren't that clear.

We have literally eaten salad everyday: spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts on Monday, arugala salad with pickled beets and sliced apples on Wednesday, pizza with salad on the side on Thursday, and on Tuesday, to help cleanse our palates from all the green stuff, nachos!  They look good already, don't they?  Organic blue corn chips, Farmers' Market slow-cooked black beans, and fresh spring onions...but a crucial ingredient is missing!
 Ah, much better!  New York State extra sharp cheddar cheese...
 And, bam.  So, so delicious.  We served them with salsa and guacamole,
 and of course, a salad on the side.
Tonight we'll be having...salad.  I was going to do a ceaser, but I'll have to fake it a bit since we used up a lot of the romaine in last night's salad we served with the pizza.  I have a great recipe from Candice Kumai for a ceaser dressing made with yogurt for a healthier, tangier twist.  I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Are you having Salad Week at your house?  For locavores, this is the season to eat those fresh, tender greens till you can't stand it anymore!  When it heats up for good, they'll be gone till fall!  What are your favorite ways of sprucing up a salad, or making an indulgent meal a little healthier (ala black bean nachos without too much cheese)?  Think you'll serve any of these dishes in your house this week?  I definitely recomend it!

Happy Spring!  You can join that fabulous CSA: just go to the Union Square Farmers' Market on Monday, and stop by Central Valley Farm's stall!  It's pay-as-you-go, and you can always take a week off if you'll be out of town.  When the season gets in full swing and the share gets even bigger (yes, that's possible), the price goes up to $20 a week.  If anything, it's an even better value.

Nom nom nom...

No comments:

Post a Comment