Friday, June 21, 2013

Eating Omily: Celebrate the Solstice with Omily Recipes

Happy Summer Solstice, Everyone! I hope you've got plans to celebrate the longest day of the year! Believe it or not, sweet strawberry season is drawing to a close already!!  Have you loaded yourself up with strawberry goodness?  You only have a week or two left to savor the flavor of this special season!  Don't panic if you haven't put up all the strawberries you wanted to.  Cherry season is right around the corner!!  I love strawberries, but cherries are my absolutely  favourite fruit for both eating out of hand, and recipes.  Tart cherry preserves, drunken cherries...those black gold bings that they grow on Race Farm are just absolutely glorious!!  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  What delicious things might you still want to do with strawberries?  How about, strawberry vodka?
Call me crazy, but I don't think it's summer till you've sipped a strawberry blonde martini.  Mmmm...one pint of hulled strawberries, two cups of clean-tasting vodka, and one week to sit together in a jar.  Just strain, and enjoy!  Strawberry vodka stays good at room temperature for a whole year!  And for the martini?  Just shake two parts strawberry vodka to one part orange liqueur with ice.  A shake of bitters can be a nice touch, especially if you don't have the best liqueur on hand.  Skip the bitters and give yourself bonus points if you're making your own!

Last week I tried my hand at making meatballs with (yes, humane) Farmers' Market veal from Consider Bardwell Farms!  This may come as a shock to you, but you just can't avoid male cows dying young if you want to eat cheese.  The cows have to keep having babies, and if the babies aren't the sex that makes more milk...well...just know that they spent their brief lives outdoors in the sunshine, and had lots of time with their mamas.  If you CAN'T get Farmers' Market veal, I implore you to make these with beef instead.  Grocery store beef is still factory farmed and treated horrendously, but the atrocities committed against factory farmed veal are just unspeakable.

ANYWAY, the meatballs were truly spectacular, and I'm high-fiving myself left, right and center for my clever substitutions: romaine for spinach, and cayenne for red pepper flakes in the recipe.  I solemnly swear it is not my ego talking when I say that these were every bit as tasty as the balls found at the Meatball Shop, and that place is my favourite!  AND, so easy!!  Mix, weight them out to 1.5 ounces each, roll in breadcrumbs, then bake in a mini muffin tin for twenty minutes.  We served them with Farmers' Market marinara sauce, whole wheat spaghetti, and lots of grated Parmesan with a salad on the side for an amazingly comfort-foody, and nutrient-packed dinner.
Here they are before we added the sauce!  Beautiful!!  If you look closely, you can see they're a bit mini-muffin shaped.  I used Alton Brown's recipe, which you can find on foodnetwork.com.

Earlier that week, I found the frozen crab cakes I had bought and stuck in the freezer ages ago, so we pulled those out and enjoyed them with loose leaf lettuce, and gently sauted asparagus.  That was such a delicate spring treat!  If the fish mongers at the Farmers' market start selling crab, I will definitely be experimenting with making these from scratch.  As is, I just thawed them, then browned them in coconut oil.
And finally, last night, I got home late from an aerial class, and knew I needed a big dose of protein to feed those growing muscles, but I wanted to keep dinner quick and easy.  Skip had stayed home sick and we both needed to hit the hay early.  I turned to an ingenious recipe I got from the book YOU ALL SHOULD HAVE READ BY NOW, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver.  Don't get this one at the library.  Go buy it.  Now.  Pregerably from a local privately owned bookstore. This book will teach you so much, and will probably change your life on top of it.

The recipe in question is, Eggs in a Nest!  Just take lots of leafy greens, chop them up, saute them with garlic, onions, and dried tomatoes or carrots for extra flavor if you like.  Make depressions in the greens with the back of your spoon, then crack eggs gently into the depressions, one or two per family person eating.  Pop the lid on, and let them poach for three to five minutes, depending on how runny you want your yolks.  Use a pancake turner type spatula to gently lift out the eggs on their bed of veggies, and enjoy!  I served this with whole wheat naan that I heated in the oven, spread with Farmers' Market butter, and sprinkled with sea salt and Farmers' Market rosemary-garlic powder.  It was wonderful.
I think I've just given you enough ideas to meal plan and preserve your way all the way through next week!!  Take advantage of my genorosity: I'm off to Chincoteague, home of the wild Chincoteague ponies starting Sunday!  I'm hoping to blog pictures of Farm stands, beaches, feral ponies, ghost crabs, and sea junk...but with internet only available at the homemade icecream shop...well, actually I guess that's a pretty strong incentive!

Until next time, live the seasons!

2 comments:

  1. That's how I make my eggs! I leave the yolks raw & usually opt for a bed of spinach with some garlic on top. YUM.

    And... feral ponies??? That just makes my heart sing. Looking forward to those pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you make me feel bad for not getting a post up earlier!! But no worries, I'll be adding pictures to the latest one tonight! Pony Power! :-D

    ~em

    ReplyDelete