Friday, September 28, 2012

Eating Omily: Teetering Fruit Salad

Slowly but surely, the flavors of summer are fading away: the corn cobs are getting skinnier, the melons are vanishing, this Wednesday was the last day for peaches at Bartel Pritchard!  The tomatoes, tomatillos, and eggplants are still kicking around in delicious abundance though, and the garlic and onions are rolling in, along with lots of tasty apples and pears.

When I was asked to bring fruit salad to a dinner party, I knew I wanted to capture this transitional time, the way we're teetering between the sweet, lusciousness of summer, and the pumpkin spice, warm and cozy flavors of fall.  I bought the aforementioned apples and pears, as well as a few of those last peaches.  I chopped them up into small pieces, and tossed with lemon juice, maple syrup, and a few shakes of cinnamon: a pitch-perfect late September fruit salad, and the only non-local ingredients were the lemon juice and the cinnamon!

While I was picking up the fruit, I noticed a sale on sweet wines at the wine booth, so I picked up three bottles: a more wine-like take on fermented cider, a super-sweet late harvest dessert wine, and a subtler red table wine perfect for mulling, for $11 a bottle.  Have you experimented with New York state wines yet?  They grow a lot of foxy grapes here, and there's also a lot of dry Rieslings, but there's more and more variety every time I check them out.
Cooking has been pretty haphazard around here lately, since we're both so busy, but Skip made an interesting little saute side dish the other day: onions, beets, and cucumbers!  The beets died the flesh of the cucumbers pink, but the skins stayed green, so it was really pretty.  I'm not one to cook cukes, although really, I only like cukes that have been pickled, but this was surprisingly pleasant and refreshing.

He also brought me home flowers on Tuesday, which I was pretty excited about.
What transitional flavors are you getting excited about?  Or have you skipped straight to jeans and pumpkin spice lattes?

~em

4 comments:

  1. That fruit salad sounds simple and utterly delish! Thanks for sharing, Emily. May I ask what is that yummy icing (?) covered treat to the right of your fruit salad? That looks yummy, too. xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a wholewheat cinnamon raisin toasted english muffin with melty natural peanutbutter! Very yummy, but not quite an icing covered treat ;-) Thanks as always for your encouraging feedback!

    ~em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nom nom! A feast for the eyes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize until today: this was my 200th post! Thanks for reading, everyone!

    ~em

    ReplyDelete