Sunday, August 12, 2012

Eating Omily: A Glassful of Wine Helps the Squash Go Down

 Sorry I'm late, guys!  It's been quite a weekend, starting with my husband's art show reception, and ending, possibly, with that silly batman movie tonight.  Luckily, we're still on schedule for an Eating Omily post!  And what have I been eating lately?  Oh, you know, everything.  A lot of tomatoes, blueberries, watermelon, zucchini, the works.  Late Summer is booming!

You guys know by now that I am not a huge fan of the summer squash avalanche that descends every year.  If you have a dinner party during the summer, you are guaranteed a loaf of zucchini bread as my contribution, because I have got to get rid of this stuff!!  I was so thrilled to find this website, featuring fifteen summer squash recipes, because I need some serious inspiration to eat my way out of it every year.  This squash-potato gratin is the first recipe I tried.  Here it is pre-oven.  I didn't have goat cheese or Parmesan, so I used this funny Spanish cheese we had instead.
We poured a glass of wine while we waited for it to bake.  Did I mention my friends are awesome?  Thank you, Karen and Cort, for this amazing, confused cat with a cork stuck in his head.  Believe it or not, the Riesling it contained was really something: sweet, yes, but with just the right snappy citrus flavors to balance it.  We could drink this stuff all summer!
Here's our tasty dinner spread, and my husband's hand, as we vie for the best photographic angle.  The bad news was, forty-five minutes in the oven wasn't enough to tenderize the squash and potatoes, brown the cheese, or evaporate the excess liquid, and we were too hungry to put it back into the oven.  I baked the left-overs longer, and they were considerably better.
Recipe?  Easy!  Take two summer squash and four small potatoes, slice them all thinly, and spread a layer in the bottom of a baking dish.  Add some grated or crumbled cheese, and repeat for two more layers, salting each layer generously.  Pour a quarter cup of milk over the whole thing.  I'd suggest baking uncovered for forty-five minutes, checking on it after half an hour to see how it's going.  You don't want it to totally dry out, but the squash will release a ton of moisture that needs to evaporate.  If it's browning or getting dry enough for you, but it's not yet tender, cover with foil and continue cooking.  Let me know how it goes; I'm still playing around with this one to get it just right.

Aside from stuffing my face with summer produce, and preparing for my next solo aerial performance, I've been kept busy by our latest fosters: Momma Arial, and her two babies, Abigail and Adoran (Abby's not in this picture).  The kittens are adorable of course, but Arial (I want to change her name slightly to 'Aerial') is the one who is stealing our heart with her chatty, trilling meows, and mellow, affectionate personality.  Come meet her and her babies before they go back to the ASPCA!
 I'll post some more fun pictures of momma and baby to my facebook wall soon.  In the meantime, get out to your Farmer's Market, and soak up some summer flavor and nutrition!

~em

4 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks VERY tasty, Emily! xo style, she wrote

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really good. It's a great vegetarian main course! Try it while we still have summer squash coming out of our ears!

    ~em

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just read this today, i'm a little behind! this looks awesome tho! annnnnnnnd you're welcome for the confused cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer squash is STILL coming in our share every week, so it's not too late to try this one! I need to freeze some for winter zucchini bread...

    ~em

    ReplyDelete