Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Eating Omily: You Can't Have Too Many Veggies!

I have a lot of preserving to do today, since we're off for Ohio tomorrow and have a share and a half giving me the bad eye from the bottom of the fridge, but I'll have to fill you guys in on that excitement later, because I made some lovely meals this week that make great use of what you'll find at the Farmer's Market these days.

A few weeks ago my husband got on this taco kick, and it doesn't show signs of stopping.  It's turned into a holy grail quest of sorts, because thus far the tacos we've made don't taste taco-y enough to him.  This may have to do with the lack of uber cheap CAFO meat, iceberg lettuce, and flavorless tomatoes, but don't tell him that.  So far he's convinced the missing ingredient is far more subtle. 

One day last week I got into the quest a little bit, and bought a packet of taco seasoning from Trader Joe's.  For our next batch of tacos, I sauted summer squash with charred hot peppers, onions, garlic, and taco seasoning, and used refried black beans as glue to hold the taco and filling together.  Good, we agreed, but the husband is still on the search for true at-home taco glory.  Ah well...
On Monday I opened the fridge to look for lunch, and was immediatly attacked by veggies, desparate to be eaten!  Not one to argue with angry chlorophyll, I sauted onions, garlic, swiss chard, brocoli, and a bell pepper with a soy-tariyaki sauce, and toasted sesame oil and crumbled tofu.  I share this with you because it was quick, easy, healthy, and delicious.  It's all about the toasted sesame oil.  THAT is the Chinese flavor you're failing to replicate.   Oh, if only tacos were so easy...
You probably thought I was fresh out after that green feast, but no dice!  The next day I had to go even bigger by adding squash to the mix.  I scrambled an egg in, and ate it on toast spread with pesto.
Squash is always the hardest thing to get through.  It's so damn prolific!  I've baked two loaves of zucchini bread so far, but Monday's dinner was truly a stroke of inspiration.  You know, necessity is the mother of invention.  We had a jar of home-made pesto sitting around, so I thought pesto with whole wheat spaghetti would be a good base for dinner. 
 
I pulled the frozen chicken out of the freezer and sauted that up to go with it, and, this is genius part, I used a vegetable peeler to make summer squash ribbons to toss with the pasta! 
More's the pity, that's not even one whole squash's worth of ribbons.

I sauted them in the pan I used for the chicken for extra flavor, using a splash of water (I would have used white wine if there'd been a bottle about) to scrape the yummy bits off the bottom.  Sadly, I was excited and starving by the time we ate, and failed to get a picture of the whole thing tossed prettily together, but it was delicious, and a cinch to make, and you get the idea.
You can make this vegan easily enough: eliminate the chicken.  Replace with chickpeas, tofu, or nothing at all.  Wholewheat pasta packs a decent protein punch all by itself.

So, inspired to get a Farm share so you, too can be drowning in nutrition??  I hope so, but at the least, you'll have some rough ideas for lunch and dinner for a few days, right? 

Bon Appetit!

And Fair Warning: since we'll be celebrating a wedding and a birth with the fam from tomorrow till Tuesday, I may get a little lax with my blog posts.  I promise to try really hard, and make up any that I miss!

~em

No comments:

Post a Comment