Monday, June 25, 2012

The Omily Tarot: The Six of Swords

Hey everybody, it's Monday again!  Don't get all in a tizzy...Monday is Tarot Day, and who doesn't love that?  Start your week off with a little introspection.  You'll be happy to know that I'm back to making leaps-and-bounds style progress interpreting the whole tarot using my own cobbled-together system.  I'm getting really excited to finish and get all the interpretations professionally laid out and designed into a beautiful zine-style book for your offline-interpreting pleasure.  Stay tuned!

Today's card is the Six of Swords.  When I first bought a tarot deck and started this journey at the tender age of, oh, somewhere around fourteen, I think, the Cups really captured my imagination.  That was only natural: watery, emotional, dreamy cups definitely describe well the mind-set of a young adolescent.  I related so strongly to the Princess of Cups in my goddess tarot, a young figure, drinking deeply from the cup of life....
 It didn't help, of course, that the original tarot book I bought was not, frankly, very good, but I was not a Swords fan at all.  They were dark, and scary.  As the years went by and I started living my dreams instead of being emo about them, the swords moved into the forefront of my psyche.  I was, still am, deeply inspired by their take-no-prisoners, cut-the-bullshit attitude.  Even before my Sword days, though, I liked the Six of Swords card in the goddess tarot.
 It had a dreamy quality all its own, owing at least partially, I'm sure, to the water-heavy nature of the image.  When I feel stuck, and a little hopeless, I look at this card as a reminder that my gifts, and the truths I have earned cannot be taken away from me, and I need only release my old hopes and follow my dreams to firmer ground.  It has a different vibe in the Waite-Smith deck, which is interesting since visually the cards are very similar.

The Six of Swords

6 of Swords

"A man poles a boat toward land in the distance.  Six swords are stuck into the bottom of the boat, and a woman and child sit hunched over near the bow.  In the fives, we watched with a little concern as a fiery-haired man attempted to collect five swords all for himself.  In the six we see he’s found a way to take his hard-earned experience with him.   Fair enough: we can’t see the features of the land he’s heading toward, and he may need it where he’s going, but on the other hand, he’s chosen a precarious place to keep it. 
The man polls the boat in the position of calmer water, suggesting that the wisest course is sometimes to take the path of least resistance.  This is even more true when others are depending on you.  The figures in the boat may be a mother and a child, and they can represent awareness on the part of the querent that our actions inevitably have consequences for others.  Will that precaution, along with traveling heavily armed, be the preparations necessary to make for an easy journey on the final push home?  Time will tell.  We can say, at least, that the swords appear the most prepared, the most focused on the future, of the four suits at this critical juncture.  The high point is an excellent time to gain perspective on the rest of the journey.  Clear-sighted swords know that, more than picking flowers, or throwing a parade for yourself, is the way to ensure success.
In a reading, keep in mind that of course you can take the time to celebrate progress and feel good about what you’ve accomplished, but assuming you’d like to move forward, your energy needs to be channeled toward that end.  Keep your goal in sight, and be prepared for unknowns.  Are you the figures in the front of the boat?  Who are you letting control your future, and why?  Have you given them a good look yet?  You may be in good hands, but regardless, you are ultimately responsible for your fate.  Many a college student has been unable to graduate on time because he or she assumed his or her counselor knew all their requirements and would tell them if they were missing any in the critical last few semesters."

Where are your adventures and dreams taking you?  Have you gotten a good look at that land up ahead yet?  Sensible swords would insist on getting out your spyglass before you land...you can do a reading on the subject of course, the future is notoriously finicky.  Best to suss it out the old-fashioned way, too...

~em

No comments:

Post a Comment