Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Falling into Something New

I love this time of year so much; it feels amazing to slip into my favourite jeans again, wear cozy pj's at night (although in this town that only lasts until the heat gets turned on, then I'll be opening the windows trying to cool it down...). It's time to break out the French onion soup, eggplant parmesan, chicken pot pie...and of course, mulled wine and cider. Even though nature is beginning to wind down, maybe because of vestigial school associations, it still feels like a time of new horizons for me.

Maybe I'll pause for five or ten minutes at the beginning of these brilliant blue October days to meditate, like I've been promising myself I'd do forever. Maybe I'll kick up into my forearm stand, and float there, effortlessly, breathing into the powerful backbend, and dipping my feet down for Scorpion Pose! Maybe my hamstrings will release just a bit more, maybe I can start volunteering for the therapeutic riding sessions at the stables in my neighborhood...

My yoga journey has carried me so far. I remember a selfish girl, prone to sullen moods when things didn't come easily, who believed that it was a waste of time to try to change yourself, who felt small and helpless. I remember how she threw herself into her faith, wanting God[dess] to do it for her. [S]HE had another plan entirely! Walking into that yoga class changed everything; everything is still changing.

Rest assured she still makes appearances from time to time; I still feel so young, like such a newb! But naivete can be an amazing gift: approaching every moment with the understanding that you don't know what it will hold; that it has something to teach you. There is a Buddhist saying that in the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few. We are all beginners at life. Pretending to be an expert will only narrow your path.

If you've thought about starting a yoga practice, but haven't done it yet, any day is an awesome day to start. Find a studio, pick a class, and dive in, with no anticipations or presumptions. I would love to welcome you into my classes; follow the link to my facebook page for information about where I teach and when. The days are getting shorter. Instead of hunching your shoulders, open your heart, and breathe deeper than ever!

And on a practical note, try incorporating some extra ginger and garlic into your diet: traditionally these are warming and drying herbs, and it's scientifically proven that they have anti-inflammatory properties, and function as broad-spectrum anti-microbials.

Live Omily,
~em

No comments:

Post a Comment