Saturday, October 8, 2011

Eating Omily: Additional Blog, Pop Culture Reference, and Recipe!

Here's the link to the final round-up of Footnetwork's Healthy Eats' Brown Bag Challenge blog posts. Lots of great food blog links are on here, so you can read what they like to pack for healthy lunches, too!

I also feel the need to apologize for going Netflix on your collective ass: it may seem like I'm blogging less, but actually I'm blogging more; you just have to go somewhere else to read it!

I'm the main contributor for Namaste Yoga and Tranquility Center's blog these days, so I'm posting like clockwork twice a week over there, which is making it really difficult to continue to post three times a week over here, although at least I'm getting two posts in a week. If you sometimes feel this yoga blog is a little low on, you know, yoga, you should hop on over there and check it out: http://namastewilliamsburg.tumblr.com/

I will, however, offer you this delicious autumnal recipe which is perfect for those days that you just need to hack something to pieces to get your stress under control, or you want to work toward lessening that underarm jiggle:

Hearty Winter Squash Warm Salad

Preheat the Oven to 400 degrees (or so)

Take one smallish winter squash, and peel, seed, and cube it. Toss the cubes with olive oil, salt, and dried herbs (time is nice; rosemary or sage would be, too), and roast for about half an hour, until tender on the inside and a little crisp on the outside.

While the squash roasts, cook two slices of bacon on the stove until nice and crispy. Chop up a crisp, sweet apple or two, and some onion. Put the chopped apple and onion in a bowl with the crumbled bacon, and pour a couple teaspoons (or you know, almost all...) of the bacon fat over them. When the squash is ready, add it to the bowl, and toss to coat everybody with happy bacon fat!

Serve warm with a mild, crumbly goat cheese (like chevre) and balsamic vinegar (which no one will use because that bacony flavor is perfect all by itself).
And don't worry; this is the time of year that your body is craving extra animal protein and fat! Go for a lean breakfast and lunch if you're trying to curb your saturated fat intake, then dig in!
Might I add that's a glass of mulled wine there, which is the perfect pairing for this dish. I'll come back to that recipe, promise. It's super easy.

I'm sorry, I see no way to make this one vegetarian. I doubt veggie bacon can work this kind of magic...but I would love to hear about any veggifying experiments!


~em

No comments:

Post a Comment