Friday, March 18, 2011

But then I Already Knew that...

So, a week ago last night, I had two different dreams that my husband and I went to Paris. A week ago tonight, I had a third dream that my husband and I went to Paris. I chewed them over for significance, but was utterly puzzled. Of course it's no coincidence that my best friend just sent me a magic box all the way from the west coast containing, among other things, a mini Waite-Smith tarot deck that had belonged to and been frequently used by a master of that trade. That same weekend, I got to work crafting a tarot spread for the purpose of dream interpretation. For the sake of focusing my energies on the subject at hand, I made it in the shape of the Eiffel Tower.

I don't know if I can keep up my usual objective and vaguely formal tone at this point, because actually I thought this was pretty feckin' cool. I've never designed my own tarot spread before. I read a book on the subject, and sort of played with the idea, but this is a spread that is highly adaptable, logical, and successful! And it's shaped like the Eiffel Tower!

I gathered up all the cards in the Waite-Smith deck, which were spread around and inter-mixed with another deck as I was studying the different interpretations available of the different styles, etc., shuffled them up, dealt them out, and went to work.

Well, it wasn't exactly like a light bulb going off. I definitely got some good insights into the relevant parts of the dreams to look at, and the lessons the dreams were trying to teach me, but I couldn't get a bead on what aspect of my life I should be applying this lesson to. Except it might have to do with the month of July...

Well, there's a tarot card called "Temperance" which one book interprets as being about patience, trusting the process, not forcing things. The book uses the metaphor of a cake baking in the oven. Important things are happening, but there's nothing you can do to make them happen any faster or better. There's another card that another books claims is about patience, but "Temperance" was in the Eiffel Tower spread, so I'll go with that one as being relevant, although its location and position suggested it was chastising me for a lack of patience earlier...I'm not about to make the same mistake twice. The significance of the dream will become clear when the time is right.

As I've been telling my students lately in Savasana, let go of your goals and your expectations so you can be completely open to the benefits of your practice, which may not be at all like what you thought they would be. Excepting a clear, easy to follow explanation of a highly symbolic and multi-layered subject from a medium that is...highly symbolic and multi-layered...is a good way to wind up feeling short-changed and as in the dark as when I began. Actually, I have ridiculous amounts of information about my dream now. I'm just having a hard time working through the layers to interpret all the symbols. Sounds like a job requiring patience. Wish me luck.

living Omily one day at a time...
~em

p.s. I'd love to try this spread out on another person, if you've had a dream that keeps gnawing at you...

No comments:

Post a Comment