Sunday, May 2, 2010

This Week's Motivation

A few weeks ago, my friend Mona and I had a conversation about the violence that can be done with words. More specifically, how easy it is to say something to someone that will take that person a lot of yoga to deal with. We all have these neat ideas about who we are and how we think and behave, and though we don't often think about it, we do often assume that the way we think we are is the way we come across to other people.

It's really easy to say something to someone, based on how we perceive them, that is completely out of line with how that person thought they were. That is a hell of messy moment. Trying to integrate this opinion, trying to decipher the legitimacy of this opinion, even assuming that every opinion is formed almost entirely because of personal stuff going on with the opinion holder and not with the thing the opinion is of, can take a lot of effort. Integrating the parts of it that may be true, setting in motion the journey of change if the parts that are true don't jive with who you want to be, that's a lot of yoga. That's a whole hell of a lot of yoga, and much more challenging than the most intense power vinyasa.

I bring it up, because the most perfect example of this situation happened to me not one hour ago. The simplest comment, not meant in the least to shake to my very foundations my views of myself as a yoga teacher...did just that, at least for a moment. Well, all the better.

I'll be doing a lot of yoga this week.

Live Omily,
~em

No comments:

Post a Comment